Washington County Community Action Council, Inc.’s Community Action Transit (CAT) program started in 2009.
The program is a product of the Transportation Subcommittee of the Wash. Co. Disabilities Advisory Committee. The committee recognized the significant unmet transit needs and was determined to provide a more coordinated human service transportation network that offered high quality transportation for the elderly, disabled, and low income populations in Washington County, MD in the most cost effective manner.
CAT provides employment and disabilities transportation as well as medical appointment transportation for the elderly, disabled and low income citizens of Washington County.
CAT is also available to meet additional transportation needs for groups and individuals upon request.
In 2010 Washington County Community Action Council, Inc. took over the Hopewell Express and has since provided FREE employment transportation for employees of Hopewell Road businesses. Hopewell Express operates Monday—Friday from downtown Hagerstown to the Hopewell Road corridor. Download the Hopewell Express Schedule 2-2021 For information on closings or delays for Hopewell Express please call 301-797-4161 ext. 107.
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: The Hopewell Express bus stop at Cannon Ave & E. Washington St. (Sheetz) has been changed to:
East Antietam St. – between Cannon Ave. & King St.
The Hopewell Express bus stop sign has been moved to the new stop.
The new stop is on the south side of Antietam St. near the entrance of the location of the old Washington County Hospital..
If you ride the bus please spread the word to other riders. A link to the updated schedule is located above.
Available Services and Details
- Employment and disabilities transportation for the elderly, low income individuals, and individuals with disabilities
- Transportation to and from local medical appointments
- Transportation to and from Baltimore/Washington DC hospitals
- Transportation for special and group events, upon approval
- All vehicles are wheel chair accessible
- Vehicles have seating capacity for larger groups of people
- Flexible hours: evenings, weekends and some holidays
Scheduling and Payment
- Call Washington County Community Action Council, Inc. to schedule all transportation @ 301-797-4161 x107
- There is no application or approval process to be eligible for any of CAT’s transportation services
- There is a fee for service
- CAT is not able to accept any form of insurance or Medicaid as payment
- CAT accepts Ride Assist Vouchers from Washington County Commuter
If you believe you have been subjected to discrimination under Title VI based on your race, color, national origin, or any aspect of this policy, you may file a complaint up to 180 days from the date off the alleged discrimination. (What is Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? – Title VI provides as follows: “No person in the United States shall on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under a program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.” [42 U.S.C. 2000d]. In addition to prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin, Title VI requires the MTA and its sub-recipients to consider the effects its programs and activities may have upon minority and low income communities.)
The complaint should include the following information:
- Your name, address, and how to contact you (i.e., telephone number, email address, etc.)
- How, when, where, and why you believe you were discriminated against.
- The location, names, and contact information of any witnesses.
Download the complaint form Appendix B- Title VI complaint form 3016
The complaint may be filed in writing to: Jackie Crabtree or Dawn Shank, Title VI Manager(s) ~ Washington County Community Action Council, Inc. ~ 117 Summit Avenue ~ Hagerstown MD 21740. You may also call with questions ~ 301-797-4161 ext.107
For further information on any of our Transportation Services, please call 301-797-4161 ext.107
Click here: Transportation Brochure for a copy of CAC’s Transportation brochure.