Skip to main content

You are here

Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)

As of Tuesday, 2/1/2022 CAC is NOT able to accept any additional ERAP (Emergency Rental Assistance Program) applications.

Please note: If you are in need of housing or utility assistance you may still qualify for other CAC services.

If you have applied for ERAP and have questions, you may call 301-797-4161 x302 or email

Has COVID-19 affected your ability to pay rent?

You may be eligible for assistance with current or past due payments.

How can ERAP (Emergency Rental Assistance Program) help?  

The Maryland Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) provides financial assistance for the following:

  • Up to 12 months of overdue rent – going back to March 13, 2020
  • Up to 12 months of overdue utility or home energy costs – going back to March 13, 2020
  • Up to 3 months of current or future months’ rent at a time
  • Up to 3 months of current or future months’ utility costs at a time
  • Housing-related costs due to COVID19 such as relocation assistance, security deposit, and rental application fees

Each household is eligible for up to 15 months of total assistance under ERAP.

ERAP cannot pay for rental and utility costs which have been or will be covered under another funding source (no duplication of benefits).

The tenant may apply for assistance or their landlord may apply for assistance on the tenant’s behalf.

Tenants must sign the application and attest all the information in the application is true.

Please click on one of the following links for the application to apply for ERAP: 

Household Eligibility Information

To be eligible for ERAP, a household must meet all four eligibility criteria:

  • Legally obligated to pay rent or utility costs
  • Have annual household income under 80% of the Area Median Income for their county
  • Qualify for unemployment assistance OR have financial hardship directly or indirectly related to COVID19
  • Be at risk of losing their housing or utilities, currently homeless, or need to relocate housing units due to unsafe, unsanitary, or overcrowded housing conditions

Households must be able to document the following three criteria:

  • They have a rent obligation for a residential dwelling
  • The location of the unit where the household resides
  • The amount of the monthly rental payment

If the household has annual income below 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for their county or has a household member who has been unemployed for the last 90 days, their application will be prioritized for assistance.

Washington County Area Median Income

Persons in Household 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
30% AMI 16,250 18,550 21,960 26,500 31,040 35,580 40,120 44,660
50% AMI 27,050 30,900 34,750 38,600 41,700 44,800 47,900 51,000
80% AMI 43,250 49,400 55,600 61,750 66,700 71,650 76,600 81,550

Minimum Required Documentation

The applicant must attach the following supporting documents to the application for it to be considered complete and to ensure timely processing:

  • Copy of lease or alternative documentation of rental unit address and monthly rent amount (such as letter from landlord)
  • Documentation of household income (examples: paystubs, W-2s or other wage statements, unemployment benefits statements, tax filings, bank statements demonstrating regular income, or an attestation from an employer)
  • Documentation of housing instability and overdue payments (examples: overdue rent/utility notice, eviction notice, letter from homeless program or community-based organization, evidence of unsafe/unsanitary/overcrowded housing conditions)
  • Documentation of relocation or new unit expenses if requesting assistance for other housing-related costs (examples: bills, invoices, or leases showing security deposits owed, rental application fees, etc.)
  • Landlord/property owner W-9 (if landlord agrees to accept payment and ERAP concessions)

Documentation of financial hardship is NOT needed – tenants may self-certify they meet the requirements.

Supporting documentation for the application may be accepted in multiple formats – digital copy, photo, email, etc.  Original documents are never required.

When copies of third-party source documentation are not available, attestations from caseworkers or other service providers/community organizations may be accepted to document household eligibility.

If the applicant is unable to provide required documentation, the tenant must self-certify that they are eligible to receive assistance.  A staff person will follow up with the tenant to determine whether they meet the program requirements.

For More Information

Email CAC:

State of MD Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)

Application Assistance

Applicants, both tenants and landlords, are entitled to receive reasonable accommodations for disabilities, literacy and comprehension, lack of technology/internet access, and more at the time of application and throughout the process to determine eligibility.  Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to: receiving assistance from staff to complete the application, waivers of certain documentation requirements, and extended time to reply to program communications.

Applicants may also request translated versions of forms into languages other than English, as well as access to interpreter services to communicate with program staff in their primary language.